- Flowers. It has been the biggest joy to have a farm share // CSA that allows me to pick a fresh bouquet of flowers every week. I cannot tell you the joy it brings. And my little potted plant garden. I love it! My succulents and african violets are still alive! (let’s just not talk about the lavender plant though okay?)
- My puppy. His goofy love to me is amazing. His cuddles. His gentleness even though he’s a giant. His precious way of sleeping on his back propped up against the couch. This pup is, by far, one of the greatest joys – and definitely brings some of the heartiest laughs.
- My library card. Books bring me the greatest joy. They’re like travels, communities, and an education all in one. I love the feel of a book in my hands. I love talking about books with friends (or strangers who happen upon me in a book store). Books have always been my safe harbor, and library cards are the best budget friendly way to find more!
- Rain. I feel like some of the best things in my life have had rain. Rain has always symbolized growth, comfort, and reminders of love. Rain brings renewal in my life. I love the smell, the feel of a cool rain on hot summer days. The giant puddles to splash in come spring. The blustery days of fall that push people towards community events inside. The way a storm reminds me how small I am; humbling. I love the rain.
- Travel. New places, new experiences, new cultures, and new perspectives. Rain is what renews me, books are what comfort, and travel is what brings me growth. There is no way I could see a new place and not be changed. Each new city I have encountered has taught me a different lesson. Each one I am so thankful for…
While I recognize that most people are lamenting the close of summer, and some are still clinging to wearing shorts as they freeze in this weather, I not only accept fall but I revel in it. I am SO excited about today. The weather is cool and the rain is beating on my window as I write. Autumn is my favorite season. In the summer I have always rushed to get things done. Complained about the heat. And gotten annoyed at how sweat melts away any attempt to look professional by wearing makeup.
Summer means a lot of good things, but Autumn means my favorite things. It is the season that ushers in drinking warm tea. Trader Joe’s sells their Pumpkin Butter and I start to put it on my Gluten Free Toast Every morning. I can wear sweaters and warm fuzzy socks!
This Autumn, I have a new reason to be excited. I will be attending the English Nanny and Governess School to attain my certification as a Professional Governess! I am beyond thrilled to be starting this experience. It means leaving my job as a Nanny in Brooklyn, but it opens the door to being a Governess anywhere! Plus, I am a complete and total nerd. I love to learn. I love classes and books, and to some degree even homework. There is just something about feeling challenged by academia. I am so incredibly excited to start next week… Eleven days until I move in!
So, eventually I will keep packing. But for right now I am going to curl up with a fuzzy blanket, drink my tea, and enjoy catching up on episodes of Once Upon a Time…
I love the days when it rains. When there is no reason to leave the house. When the downpour hits the window to create an ambiance in the house. There’s a magical essence to the days when the rain falls. The glittering droplets wash the world, and the sounds still the soul. While the sun brings energy in life, the rain brings a peace to life. It reminds me that while growth takes exercise, work, an effort some pieces of growing require a slower approach. Some growth asks for sleep, for rest, for reading.
There’s a certain amount of creation associated with the rain. As a nanny it’s easy to figure out what to do on sunny days. Bubbles outside, running in the park, walking along the streets for some fresh air. When it rains we have to think a little harder. We build forts, we draw, we create. We read aloud from books with no pictures so little minds can create what they hear and see. We fight dragons from under the bed and climb Kilimanjaro in the kitchen. Rainy days create an environment for imagination.
So smile on this rainy day. Embrace the opportunity. Create your own sunshine today…